Zozimus Podcast Playbook
Podcast Concept Development
- What can you cover that nobody else is doing in your space?
- Can you own it and become the #1 resource for that topic?
Podcast Landing Page
- Write a mission statement for the show – what is the hook that will make people want to listen?
- DGMG: Because no one goes to school for B2B marketing.
- The Daily: This is how the news should sound. Twenty minutes a day, five days a week, hosted by Michael Barbaro and powered by New York Times journalism.
- Crime Junkie: If you can never get enough true crime… Congratulations, you’ve found your people.
After five podcasts:
- Update the landing page to highlight/feature episodes
- Include screen shots of what people are saying (social media comments)
- Include screen shot of reviews from iTunes (social proof)
- Create a section/page on how to be a guest
- Focus on Apple Podcast as that is where the majority of podcast traffic comes from
- If you want to be on multiple platforms, Transitor.fm is a good option as it creates an RSS feed that can be submitted to Apple Podcast, Sticher, etc
- Cut up podcast into multiple video clips that can be used across social media to amplify the podcast
- Use ad dollars to amplify podcast amongst business leaders on LinkedIn
- Take common questions asked of guests and package them together into themed shows
- Are there lessons from the shows that can be turned into a book or ebook?
- Get transcripts of the show and use as blog content
- Reach out to contacts/email list and let them know there is a new podcast starting
- First 100 subscribers will come mainly from your existing network
- Line up dream list of targets for show. Get guests and use guests to promote it
- Most common measurements are downloads, subscribers and unique listeners
Growing Other Channels
- The challenge with podcasts is that you don’t own the audience. You cannot remarket to them. One of the goals should be to convert listeners into email subscribers or social media followers.
- Popular tactic is giveaways, where listeners need to email, follow or RT to be eligible for prize.